Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jun 2011 07:59:52 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jon K Peck <peck@us.ibm.com>
Subject:      Re: SPSS / Python - compiler
Comments: To: Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl@yahoo.com>

Setting up py2exe can be challenging, but even if you do that, assuming that this Python code to run within SPSS, you wouldn't have the connection for this. You would just have an exe. If you were doing this in external mode, I'm afraid that you would be trying to build an untenable exe file including all of Statistics. I've never tried very hard to get Statistics into a py2exe package as that seems to be akin to the snake swallowing the crocodile.

Jon Peck Senior Software Engineer, IBM peck@us.ibm.com new phone: 720-342-5621

From: Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl@yahoo.com> To: SPSSX-L@listserv.uga.edu Date: 06/21/2011 07:51 AM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] SPSS / Python - compiler Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@listserv.uga.edu>

Perhaps py2exe could be used to distribute the program as .exe? A bit cumbersome though (e.g., emailing .exe files). I'd just distribute the .py.

Cheers!! Albert-Jan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Jon K Peck <peck@us.ibm.com> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Tue, June 21, 2011 2:59:05 PM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] SPSS / Python - compiler

If you are only distributing the .pyc (or .pyo) form, there are two things you should be aware of 1. This does not really prevent someone from reverse engineering your code. It can be decompiled into something equivalent to the original using standard Python tools.

2. If you have users on different versions of SPSS that use different versions of Python, you will need to distribute a .pyc for each version. The byte codes are version specific and might not work with all the versions you need to support.

Regards,

Jon Peck Senior Software Engineer, IBM peck@us.ibm.com new phone: 720-342-5621

From: drfg2008 <kontakt@datest.de> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Date: 06/21/2011 05:03 AM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] SPSS / Python - compiler Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Thanks Albert-Jan, thanks Jon!

(yes, this is the reason: for situations where I only want to distribute the compiled form - not so much speed)

Frank

----- Dr. Frank Gaeth FU-Berlin

Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.