Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:48:34 +0200
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   John F Hall <johnfhall@orange.fr>
Subject:   Re: help with selecting records
Comments:   To: Thara Vardhan <vard1tha@police.nsw.gov.au>

Is this how your data are stored? If so you will be dealing with strings. It's easier to work with numeric data, so I would recode the strings. Probably best to create a new variable NEWTYPE first with something like:

File > new > syntax, then write:

DO IF (INVOLVEMENTTYPE = 'VICTIM' )

NEWTYPE = 1)

ELSE IF (INVOLVEMENTTYPE = PERSON OF INTEREST)

NEWTYPE = 2

ELSE IF (INVOLVEMENTTYPE = 'VICTIM' ) AND (INVOLVEMENTTYPE = PERSON OF INTEREST)

NEWTYPE = 3

END IF.

You can then use SELECT IF, but unless you precede it with a TEMPORARY command, you will lose the unselected cases if you save the file. Thus:

TEMP .

SELECT IF (NEWVAR EQ 1) .

<ANALYSIS 1> .

TEMP .

SELECT IF (NEWVAR EQ 2) .

<ANALYSIS 2> .

TEMP .

SELECT IF (NEWVAR EQ 3) .

<ANALYSIS 3> .

I always work in lower case with abbreviated syntax. There is relevant tutorial <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/9/8/2998485/2.3.1.1__data_tran sformations.doc> 2.3.1.1 Data transformations on my website under:

2.3: Data transformations

Selecting variables for analysis, changing the names of variables, changing the values of variables. Creating new variables from existing ones. Selecting cases for analysis as a transition from analysing one variable to analysing two or more variables.

John F Hall

<mailto:johnfhall@orange.fr> johnfhall@orange.fr

<http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/> www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Thara Vardhan Sent: 26 July 2011 08:09 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: help with selecting records

Dear list members

I have a data file which with variables personcni and Involvement Type and the file is structured as follows:

Sample dummy data:

PersonCNI InvolvementType 123 VICTIM 330 VICTIM 330 PERSON OF INTEREST 330 PERSON OF INTEREST 451 PERSON OF INTEREST 555 PERSON OF INTEREST 555 PERSON OF INTEREST 666 PERSON OF INTEREST 777 PERSON OF INTEREST 777 PERSON OF INTEREST 888 PERSON OF INTEREST 888 VICTIM 888 VICTIM 888 VICTIM 888 VICTIM 888 VICTIM 9999 VICTIM 9999 VICTIM 9999 PERSON OF INTEREST 9999 VICTIM

How do I select records where the person is a

a) victim only b) POI only c) Both a victim and poi

In the first instance i am keeping it very simple with just these two variables without taking into account any date variables. All involvements were over 1 year period.

I would be grateful if somebody could help select these records.

many thanks regards thara

The information contained in this email is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may contain private, confidential, copyright or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this

email by mistake, please reply to the author and delete this email immediately. You must not copy, print, forward or distribute this email, nor place reliance on its contents. This email and any attachment have been virus scanned. However, you are requested to conduct a virus scan as well. No liability is accepted for any loss or damage resulting from a computer virus, or resulting from a delay or defect in transmission of this email or any attached file. This email does not constitute a representation by the NSW Police Force unless the author is legally entitled to do so.

[text/html]