Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:57:26 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Kirby, Ted" <ted.kirby@LEWIN.COM>
Subject:      Re: how to get an alpha symbol in sas dataset?

I see from the included message below that my alt-0224 somehow got translated from a lower-case acute accented A to a capital A with a tilde over it. It must be a font thing.

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joe Matise Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 11:46 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: how to get an alpha symbol in sas dataset?

Alt+3 digit number and alt+4 digit number are two different character sets. Alt+3 digit number hits Code Page 437, which is one set for 128-255; Alt+4 digit number hits ISO8859-1 on most western systems (though if you're using, say, Hindi Windows, you may have a different encoding).

I would note that the character for 0222 doesn't look like alpha to me... but that could be a font thing. Anything after 127 is not required to be the same in every character set and font, and should not be relied upon. Use images, or explicit font/character set combinations if you must rely on it working in other systems.

-Joe