Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 8 Aug 2011 14:20:13 -0600
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   ViAnn Beadle <vab88011@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Visual aids for interactive stats [was: Computable Document Format (CDF) for SPSS tutorial authors?]

The applets work just fine without a login from my link.

Here's another example: http://www.cse.illinois.edu/iem/least_squares/data_fitting/

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Art Kendall Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 10:31 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Visual aids for interactive stats [was: Computable Document Format (CDF) for SPSS tutorial authors?]

I would be surprised if it did not also expand the understanding of numerate students.

Art

On 8/8/2011 11:39 AM, John F Hall wrote:

ViAnn,

Thanks. Looks interesting, but you have to pay to join. All my stuff is free.

Bruce Weaver has some nice slide-shows, but does anyone know of other links to free aids for interactive stats? If anyone is interested I can send an account [off-list] of my attempts to explain (linear) regression and correlation using elastic bands attached from data points to a rigid pole rotating at the intersect of mean Y and mean X. I'm not sure if the maths is right, but it helped (non-numerate) students to understand.

John

johnfhall@orange.fr

www.surveyresearch.weebly.com <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/>

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ViAnn Beadle Sent: 08 August 2011 15:39 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Computable Document Format (CDF) for SPSS tutorial authors?

You'll find applets all over the net which interactively demonstrate statistical concepts. Here's an example: http://www.nctm.org/standards/content.aspx?id=26787

From: John F Hall [mailto:johnfhall@orange.fr] Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:07 AM To: 'ViAnn Beadle'; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Cc: muir.houston@glasgow.ac.uk; 'Dr. Thomas W. MacFarland'; 'Bruce Weaver'; andyf@sussex.ac.uk; jkanglim@unimelb.edu.au; v.patent@open.ac.uk; C.Longmore@hull.ac.uk; 'Lee, Carl'; samuel@indiana.edu Subject: RE: Computable Document Format (CDF) for SPSS tutorial authors?

ViAnn

Perhaps I should have said, "Authors of aids to understand statistical concepts." It's the animation possibilities that look interesting for explaining things like the mean or regression lines if readers can move data points around. I don't have Mathematica, or even Acrobat, but I recently got a new PC with Windows 7 and Word 2007, so I can now save pdf files which which retain their layout, display more quickly on my website and have functioning hyperlinks. Muir Houston pointed me towards MWsnap freeware which I've been using to capture bits of screen (eg icons on SPSS screenshots) but now there's "snip" in Word which apparently does the same thing.

John

johnfhall@orange.fr

www.surveyresearch.weebly.com <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/>

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ViAnn Beadle Sent: 06 August 2011 03:47 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Computable Document Format (CDF) for SPSS tutorial authors?

Excel contains both data and a presentation layer. Why is this all that different? Isn't Mathematica required on the client machine to modify the content? Note that the output from SPSS does, to some degree. contain data that you can tinker with provided that you have a reader that understands the content.

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of John F Hall Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 6:08 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Computable Document Format (CDF) for SPSS tutorial authors?

After .pdf comes .cdf. This looks very interesting.

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd2YxmuP9s <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd2YxmuP9s&feature=related> &feature=related

SPSS tutorial authors, please note.

John F Hall