Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:35:57 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John F Hall <johnfhall@orange.fr>
Subject:      Re: First pop-up screen should include "Draft new set
              of syntax"
Comments: To: Art@DrKendall.org

I second that (about syntax). Syntax makes you think: GUI doesn't.

When I worked for the (UK) Social Science Research Council Survey Unit, the late Alan Little, Head of Research at the Greater London Council, once joked, "Research is a substitute for action." Quick as a flash, we retorted, ". . . and SPSS is a substitute for thought!" That was when we only had syntax, but everyone asked for chi-square regardless and it wasn't at all unusual to see SPSS runs with "crosstabs all by all".

John F Hall

johnfhall@orange.fr

www.surveyresearch.weebly.com <http://surveyresearch.weebly.com/> (All SPSS tutorials in syntax)

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Art Kendall Sent: 08 August 2011 18:29 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: First pop-up screen should include "Draft new set of syntax"

No. I do have a syntax window opened. First I often do want to use a previously used data or syntax file. That is why I do not want suppress that pop-up dialog. Secondly, as you have heard from me maybe to the extent of being tiresome, beginners should be aware of the centrality of syntax in SPSS use.

Beginners would be much more likely to be starting a draft of new syntax than to be using database queries.

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants