Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 2 Aug 2011 00:25:57 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Daniel Nordlund <djnordlund@FRONTIER.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS on 64 bit Windows 7 with 32 Bit SAS Catalogs and Data Sets

> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kevin > Myers > Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 6:27 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: SAS on 64 bit Windows 7 with 32 Bit SAS Catalogs and Data Sets > > Guys, please tell me there is something obvious that I'm missing... > > Finally had my first opportunity to start working with SAS under 64 bit > Windows 7. Didn't anticipate any major problems, but ran into some > immediately... > > From what I'm seeing, it appears that SAS under 64 bit Windows 7 can't > properly read SAS files (especially SAS catalogs) created under a 32 bit > Windows version of SAS, or vice-versa. Surely I am missing something. > There are far too many shops running a mixed bag of 32 and 64 bit > operating > systems. There have been for a while now, and that situation doesn't > appear > ready to make an abrupt change in the near future. > > Given all of that, it would seem absolutely critical that SAS under 64 bit > Windows should be able to directly work with SAS files created under 32 > bit > Windows and vice-versa. NOT by using PROC MIGRATE, NOT by using PROC > CPORT. > > Please tell me that I'm missing something obvious!!! > > Thanks, > s/KAM

Kevin,

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are probably not missing anything. The documentation states that 32-bit and 64-bit catalogs are not compatible. You should be able to read both 32-bit and 64-bit datasets with either 32-bit or 64-bit SAS.

BUT, you will see notes in the log that the CEDA engine was used when reading a dataset created on the other platform, warning that efficiency might be impacted. In addition, user defined formats that are attached will not be recognized cross-platform.

As far as SAS is concerned, 32-bit and 64-bit windows are different platforms. Apparently SAS changed the underlying dataset structure in anticipation of some future needs in a 64-bit environment. (Or maybe they are defending themselves against people who have reverse engineered their proprietary dataset structure, especially in the 32-bit Windows world.)

Sorry I can't give you any comfort here.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund Bothell, WA USA