Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:00:22 +0300
Sender:   Conchologists List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   =?UTF-8?B?15TXoNenINee15nXoNeZ16E=?= <mienis@NETZER.ORG.IL>
Subject:   Re: Colonel Currie

Dear Lucy and Martin,

The Colonel Currie question is a rather interesting one. Due to the current recess at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem I could not check some old literature from around 1800 but here are already some tits-and-bits.

The Colonel Currie is without doubt Lieutenant-Colonel E. Currie, which indeed was killed on the plains of Waterloo on 18th June 1815. When he was not abroad he had his residence at Dalebank, Annandale, Scotland.

Around 1800 he served in Egypt (!) and most probably he collected/got/bought/exchanged the Cypraea pantherina overthere.

As soon as I manage to get more information I will let you know.

Best regards,

Henk Mienis

----- Original Message ----- From: martin To: CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 11:57 PM Subject: Re: [CONCH-L] Colonel Currie

Hi Lucy, In 2008 I had the task of preparing, for auction, shells from the estate of the late G.T. Jackson, of Samoa (who died about 10 or more years previously). Some of the more interesting items I put aside for a small auction to be held during the weekend of the Shell Show hosted by the Auckland Shell Club in February 2009. There was a Cypraea that had a handwritten very old note rolled up inside it. May I quote from the auction notes I prepared: Cypraea pantherina, 62.8mm, OK but octopus tried a drill on top? "From the collection of Colonel Currie, who fought and was killed at Waterloo in 1815." The latter was the text on the piece of paper inside the shell. Otherwise, no data. I realise this does not add much to what you have already, but it confirms the story somewhat. Best of luck in tracking down more info. Please keep me posted (on Conch-L or otherwise), and I will try to convey any new info to the current owner of that C.pantherina. Regards, Martin Walker Auckland, New Zealand. ----- Original Message ----- Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:09 PM

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:18:13 -0500 From: Lucy Clampit <lclampit@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Colonel Currie Dear Listers, Has anyone heard of a Colonel Currie or Curries who was a shell collector or naturalist around the time of Waterloo? While curating a shell collection donated to the Houston Museum of Natural Science, we found a pretty Epitonium from the Mediterranean. The data slip says it is from "Col. Curries' collection." The year is a little difficult to read, but it definitely 1800. A note says it was collected or obtained before Waterloo. We have found no other shells in the collection with similar data. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lucy Clampit HMNS volunteer Houston, TX USA

Quality Bytes MailXpress Message: Spam? Click this link

[text/html]