Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Sep 2011 16:25:53 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "DUELL, BOB" <bd9439@ATT.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS 9.3 Windows 64-Bit Software and MS/Office - How About a
              SAS Institute-Written Tutorial?
Comments: To: Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>

Second! Plus one! Like!

A clear tutorial would be very useful, especially if it explained all the permutations of operating system, Office versions, and SAS versions. That's the most "confusing" part of all this; we say we want to "import and Excel worksheet into a SAS data set", but the method is dependent on the details. What works for me may not work for you and then suddenly what worked for me stops working at all (because Windows was upgraded, or Office was upgraded, or the wind changed direction).

A great idea and I hope someone is listening!

Bob

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael Raithel Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:51 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS 9.3 Windows 64-Bit Software and MS/Office - How About a SAS Institute-Written Tutorial?

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Given the spate of discussions concerning SAS 9.3 Windows 64-bit software and its interaction with Microsoft Office products, most notably Excel, but including Access too, I would like to suggest that this subject would make a great topic for a SAS Institute-written technical paper for SAS Global Forum 2012. Such a paper could include rules of thumb and a summary of best practices, based on behind-the-scenes knowledge of the software and reported customer experiences.

It would be very useful to have an authoritative paper that one and all could refer to in order to thread our way through the issues that fellow SAS professionals seem to be bumping into, ad-hoc. I would rather follow proven rules of thumb and avoid such issues than to add to the body of complaints! My opinion, of course.

Best of luck in all your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com<mailto:MichaelRaithel@westat.com>

SAS Press Author Page: http://support.sas.com/publishing/authors/raithel.html