Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:16:09 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Tabachneck <art297@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      When using length statement doesn't change format width

Can someone point me to documentation that talks about when using a length statement, before a set statement in a data step, doesn't change the width of the format statement?

My experience has always been that using a length statement to change the width of a character variable results in simultaneously changing the width of the format. However, I came across a case yesterday where that didn't hold. Using a format statement, though, ended up changing both.

Is that particular behavior documented somewhere?

Thanks in advance, Art