Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:24:35 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         SR Millis <srmillis@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: A 4 point Likert scale
Comments: To: Mohamed Fawzy Afify <mohamedfawzy74@yahoo.com>

Without knowing more about the construct you're trying to measure, it's difficult to provide more than some very rough guidelines: --Avoid odd numbers of response categories. --Avoid "not applicable" or "no opinion" response categories. --Consider starting with 6 categories. For more guidance: http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt203f.htm ~~~~~~~~~~~ Scott R Millis, PhD, ABPP, CStat, PStat® Professor Wayne State University School of Medicine Email: aa3379@wayne.edu Email: srmillis@yahoo.com Tel: 313-993-8085 ________________________________ From: Mohamed Fawzy Afify <mohamedfawzy74@YAHOO.COM> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 2:26 PM Subject: Re: A 4 point Likert scale Thank you for your help. The point is, I do not want to have a neutral position. This is not a construct. so do you suggest a 6 point scale , giving more stretch and eliminating the neutral status? However, I do have a construct [5 items] that was originally measured on a 4 point scale and I intend to use it. Regards Mohamed ________________________________ From: Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org> To: Mohamed <mohamedfawzy74@YAHOO.COM> Cc: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 8:19 PM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] A 4 point Likert scale Why do you want to use only a 4 point Likert scale? _The more you restrict the variance of a variable the more you restrict its possible covariance._ As a rule of thumb you want items to approximate a continuous construct as much as possible given who your respondents are. An actual Likert item has 5 points SD D ? A SA.  Do you have a Disagree to Agree construct for your response scale? If your scale has many items, the total (mean) score might not be too restricted. If you do not have scales, but are measuring a construct with a single variable the restriction of variance and therefore on covariance is even more problematical. In short, a 4 point response scale is usually inadvisable. Why coarsen your measurement any more than is really necessary? Art Kendall Social Research Consultants On 10/17/2011 1:13 PM, Mohamed wrote: Hi I intend to use a 4 point Likert scale format in my survey. I want to know if this puts limitations on the type of statistical analysis tests conducted? Regards Mohamed -- View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/A-4-point-Likert-scale-tp4910676p4910676.html Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com. ===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

[text/html]