Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:44:51 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   David Marso <david.marso@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent Beta Coefficient Sign Between Multiple and Simple Regression

Important to know the intercorrelations of the predictors as well as the correlations of the dependent variable and the predictors. Google suppression in the context of multiple regression and you likely have such a situation! --

Joe wrote > > I am conducting a multiple Linear regression with 3 predictors, all > variables are continuous and N=51. Before doing linear regression > analysis, I did first a simple linear regression and found that all the > predictors have positive correlation with the outcome variable. > Surprisingly, when I did the multiple linear regression, one of the > predictors have negative B unstandardized coefficients, with less than > -1.0 coefficient, VIF value less than 10, and these are no indication of > multicollinearity problem. > > Is there anything wrong with the result? Please kindly give any advice how > to explain this case. > > Thank you. > Joe >