Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:30:21 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "J. R. Carroll" <jrc.csus@gmail.com>
Subject:   FTP Data Extraction and Automation via Syntax + Finding SPSS Help Manuals Online.

All,

Tried searching the web but my searches turned up nothing relevant. I am trying to find a way to automate some monthly analyses without having to go through some intermediate steps.

*Question 1:* Currently, my team has to log into an FTP site, manually select and download a specific file on the server and download it to their own HDD, then run the SPSS script necessary to analyze the data. We are looking into ways that we might just link directly to the FTP file via syntax (e.g. some sort of "open" syntax command that allows FTP). Does SPSS syntax support this? If not, are there alternatives like if I wrap the syntax into a python layer (using a module like sockets or twister for packet management or some other FTP module - haven't really looked into this yet)? The file is either a flat/text file or a CSV and prepared by a client, so we do not have an ODBC connection option.

*Question 2:* I couldn't "easily" find the SPSS help manuals online (I found some old archived SPSS help manuals on a few personal sites). I also checked the SPSS/IBM wiki but nothing jumped out at me. Specifically I was looking for the PDF's that come packaged with SPSS (syntax ref, programming ref/python, etc); the PC I am on doesn't have SPSS installed on it right now. Am I blind and just totally glazed over it? Or is not available for d/w? Whatever the case, can someone suggest a solution to getting access to the manuals while I am away from a PC that has SPSS?

*I've already tried:* google, IBM/SPSS Forums, old syntax ref manuals, and a few other odds and ends for both questions.

Thanks,

----

J. R. Carroll Researcher for Hurtz Labs Instructor at California State University, Sacramento Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics www.jrcresearch.net Cell: (916) 628-4204 Email: jrcarroll@jrcresearch.net jrcarroll@hurtzlab.com jrc.csus@gmail.com

[text/html]