Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:42:51 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         benfranklin23 <coogan@upenn.edu>
Subject:      Calculating BDI score with SPSS20

I am a novice SPSS user and have (I believe) a fairly straightforward question, but don't know the correct terminology, so have been unable to find an answer online. I apologize in advance if this question is simplistic!

I want to calculate scores for the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) and already know how to create a variable for the total score (I have numbered responses of 0-3 for each question, and for most questions it is just a matter of adding up the responses) . However, question 19 has two parts. Part A is a normal 0-3 scale, but Part B has a yes or no response. If the response is "yes", part A should not be included in the total score, but if the response is "no" than Part A needs to be added.

What is the correct terminology for the calculation I need to do, and can anyone explain to me how to do it?

Thanks a lot!