Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 2012 06:53:13 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jon K Peck <peck@us.ibm.com>
Subject:      Re: struggling with OMS
Comments: To: Pierre Tourigny <ptourigny@videotron.ca>

As Pierre says, OMS listens for output generated after you start it. It captures it upstream from the Viewer. You can pivot tables in the OMS capture, but OMS provides no control over variable naming.

If you need to capture the output exactly in the Viewer format, it would require custom scripting in Python or Basic.

Jon Peck (no "h") aka Kim Senior Software Engineer, IBM peck@us.ibm.com new phone: 720-342-5621

From: Pierre Tourigny <ptourigny@videotron.ca> To: SPSSX-L@listserv.uga.edu Date: 02/20/2012 04:48 AM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] struggling with OMS Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@listserv.uga.edu>

Hi Domonic,

OMS does not work on existing output like OUTPUT EXPORT. It's a new output stream. You must put your table-producing procedure between the OMS and OMSEND commands.

Good luck, Pierre Tourigny

On 2/20/2012 3:04 AM, Dominic Lusinchi wrote: Dear colleagues,

I am having a difficult time with OMS. I am new to this feature of SPSS. I scanned through the Syntax Reference guide and the list serve archives but without success.

My issue. I am conducting a Friedman test and want to export the Ranks table to a *.sav file such that the variable names in the aforementioned table will be the variable names in the new data file and the mean ranks will be the values. Ideally I want to export more than one table such that each table will be a case in the new data file.

Currently I used this syntax for just one table: OMS /SELECT TABLES /IF COMMANDS=['NPar Tests'] SUBTYPES=['Friedman Ranks'] LABELS =['Mean Rank'] /DESTINATION FORMAT=SAV OUTFILE='C:\myfolder\myfile.sav' /COLUMNS SEQUENCE=[RALL CALL LALL]. OMSEND.

All this syntax provides is a data file with "Command_", "Subtype_" and "Label_" as variables but no data.

I assume that the OMS command reads the output (SPSS Viewer) currently open - that is where the results of the Friedman test are located. The "[RALL CALL LALL]" puts all dimensions in a single row. That might be a problem since the Ranks table has two columns: one with the variables and the other with the ranks. I tried using DIMNAMES but without success. Perhaps I need to transpose rows and columns in the original table in Viewer?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Dominic

Dominic Lusinchi Far West Research Statistical Consulting San Francisco, California 415-664-3032 dominic@farwestresearch.com

[text/html]