Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2012, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:01:38 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Bolotin Yevgeniy <YBolotin@SCHOOLS.NYC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: OT, Windows file permission
Comments: To: Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>

Note that the DOS ATTRIB command sets flags that are generally only a suggestion, and are not enforced by the OS (i.e. an application has to check for the read-only flag to be affected by it)

You might want to look at cacls or other existing tools (if on windows) if you want to change permissions

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike Rhoads Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:14 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: OT, Windows file permission

Another possible approach would be to use the DOS ATTRIB command at the beginning and end of the SAS code to dynamically control the output file attributes. You'd have to make sure to use something other than the default LISTING output, since that isn't closed until the job ends. You could do this either with PROC PRINTTO or by using one of the ODS output destinations other than LISTING.

Mike Rhoads RhoadsM1@Westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Arthur Tabachneck Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:29 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: OT, Windows file permission

Ya,

You can always separate the data, programs and output, in separate folders, so that a user only has read access to the first two. And, I would think that you could assign passwords to the created output in order for one to be able to modify the file.

Not fool proof, of course, but would add a rather inconvenient hurdle.