Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:41:41 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Marso <david.marso@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Database Management Help

Quick and dirty would be to do 1. CASESTOVARS on both files (use different varnames for the dates in the 2 files). 2. Simple 1:1 Match at the point. 3. Let the devil sort it out later with some basic logic after nuking the obvious crap. --

Michael, Paul G. wrote > > Hi All, > > I have two data sets that I would like to merge using ID as the keyed > variable, and each data file has duplicates IDs. The variables of interest > in the first dataset are ID, date of contact (DD-MM-YYYY), and Body Mass > Index (BMI). The variables of interest in the second data set are ID, date > of contact (DD-MM-YYYY), and depression score. The duplicate IDs occur > because some subjects had more than 1 BMI score from different time points > and/or more than 1 depression score at different time points. > > The contact dates from each file do not match up in all instances (in fact > very few subjects have the same contact date in both files). I only want > to keep subjects who have both BMI data and depression data but I need to > preserve information from all the contact dates. > > When I try a simple merge by adding variables (e.g., depression score and > contact date) to the BMI data set using ID as the keyed variable, I run > into the problem of having to go through thousands of cases and delete > those that don't have both BMI and depression data. > > For example I might have one subject whose BMI was collected 10 times on > different dates and none of these dates match the depression data for this > subject. So after the merge I have eleven rows for this subject that I > would like to preserve (all BMI data and depression data). Another subject > may have BMI scores collected at 7 different dates, but this subject has > no depression data. I would like to remove all the BMI data for this > subject since they have no depression data. > > Is there a way in which I can merge these files in a different way to get > what I need or a method to delete cases in the merged data file based on > duplicate IDs and BMI data but no depression data? Any help is greatly > appreciated! > > Best, > > Paul > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@.UGA (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD >