Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:35:20 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Meg <ssrini24@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Determinant of Correlation Matrix is 0

I am running a factor analysis on scaled survey responses. There are 3 course sections that I am combining for the analysis; the determinant of the correlation matrix is 0. I checked the correlations, none of them are > 0.9. Data is highly significant, satisfies KMO conditions, Bartlett's test and is superb for factor analysis. However, the determinant is 0 and that's really unusual especially because if I don't combine the sections and run them individually, the determinant is not 0. It's only when I combine the 3 sections that I end up with a determinant of 0.

I have more cases than variables; I really don't see anything that perplexing about the data itself, but the 0 determinant is cause for concern.

Any reasons / pointers / advice on why this might be happening and what can be done to resolve it would be much appreciated.