Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:55:35 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing STRINGS from A MACRO VARIABLE VALUE XXXX
Comments: To: Dan Abner <dan.abner99@gmail.com>

If we're talking about variable names here is how I do it. The advantages to fiddling with scan/transtrn and loops are obvious.

data have; length DATE1 MTH YEAR ACTIVE date_open Data_closed MTH2 MTH3 $1; stop; call missing(of _all_); run;

%LET VARS = DATE1 MTH YEAR ACTIVE DATE_OPEN DATA_CLOSED MTH2 MTH3; %LET M = DATE_OPEN MTH2;

proc transpose data=have(obs=0) out=list1; var &vars; run; proc transpose data=have(obs=0) out=list2; var &m; run; proc sql noprint; select _name_ into :VarsNo_M separated by ' ' from list1 where _name_ ne ALL(select _name_ from list2) ; quit; run; %put NOTE: VarsNo_M=&varsno_m;

On 3/12/12, Dan Abner <dan.abner99@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I have the following code. I want to remove all variables listed in > the &M macro variable (REGARDLESS OF ORDER) from the &VARS variable > and save the results as &E. What I have works well except it requires > that the variables be in the same order in &VARS and &M (which is > definitely NOT the case). What is the easiest way to do this? > > %LET VARS = DATE1 MTH YEAR ACTIVE DATE_OPEN DATA_CLOSED MTH2 MTH 3; > %LET M = DATE_OPEN MTH2; > > %LET E = %SYSFUNC(TRANWRD(&VARS,%STR(&M),%STR())); > > > Thanks! > > Dan >