Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:03:06 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Dorfman <sashole@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: tabs vs spaces in SAS

Yevgeny,

First, I don't feel I have a right to tell anyone ("recommend") what style to use or, for that matter, how to render it. If one find the tabs utile, so be it, etc.

Now that it's out of the way, personally I avoid tabs (or any other unprintable characters) in my SAS code like plague, and by the same token prefer not to inherit code with such characters embedded. Instead of dealing with maintenance woes caused by unprintables, I would rather spend extra time to indent with spaces. Whilst I do consider code indentation and alignment extremely important, I do not find SAS sufficiently verbose to make code typing and editing take more than maybe 20 per cent of the development time. Also, since when I work under DMS, I always use the SAS Program Editor (ISPF-derived) and never the Enhanced Editor, moving blocks of code horizontally is exceedingly easy, as Tom Abernathy has already pointed out. Besides, in Program Editor, the line command COLS displays a ruler, so it is really easy to check alignment if need be.

My tabby $.02.

Kind regards ------------ Paul Dorfman Jax, FL ------------