Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2012, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:15:08 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joe Matise <snoopy369@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: For the Excelxp experts out there
Comments: To: Jeff Kroll <jeffrey.kroll@us.ing.com>

I believe it's usually 1/11th of the pixel width; usually I run it once, see what Excel tells me is right, then add a bit for fuzzing and divide by 11. Different fonts have different kerning and character widths, in addition to proportional fonts having very different widths depending on the characters. It would be theoretically possible to determine an appropriate width for a particular font (or at least fairly close), but definitely not trivial.

-Joe