Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 May 2012 06:54:33 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Marso <david.marso@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Categorizing a power law distribution of user participation
              in an online community (non spss question)

First thing I would do I create a histogram and see if there are obvious clumps.

whatsinaname wrote > > I have data on participation in a large scale online community. > Participation follows a power law distribution. This means that a fraction > of the users are responsible for the majority of posts, i.e. a few people > post a LOT while a lot of people don’t post much at all. > > My question is how to segment this population to tease apart differences > between high, low, and 'in between' usage? Splitting users into groups at > equal percentiles does not seem appropriate. I have not come across an > established method for this kind of segmentation. > > Thoughts? > > Thanks in advance! >