Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:57:16 -0200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Juha Kari <juha.kari@TUKO.ELISA.FI>
Subject:      Re: Win SAS 6.11 and NT

Richard Austin wrote: > > dennis Redfield (redfid.is@office.mmc.org) wrote: > : Could anyone using Windows SAS v6.11 on an NT machine share their experiences > : with this group? Are there any particular problems or advantages to using an > : NT o/s as opposed to a Win 3.1 o/s (sic)? thanks in advance. > Hmmmm, I've been using SAS 6.11 on NT and have not encountered any serious > gotchas. NT (Workstation 3.51) is much more robust than the others Windows > flavors and adds some neat features like in-bound FTP connections (my data > gathering agents can dump their data to my system rather than my having to > pull it {a small change to be sure, but I'm a systems performance puke and > have low expectations :-)}. > > As always, YMMV but I have been quite happy with the combination. > > Best Regards.

My premiere message has get lost somewhere in the net, so there is my comments to SAS & WinNT:

we have 2 (two) NT 3.51 servers (i586) running SAS 6.09 for WinNT. The problem we have been suffering is the SPAWNer, who is waiting on tcp/ip that somebody gets connection for this remote SAS. The connection will happen always, but 50% of them will stay on a loop 'vuhMsgloop while in message loop' until somebody cliks 'OK' with mouse on the server side. It took over 2 months to get the solution, which I have not yet been able to test: put a '$DEMO' parameter in the tcpwnt.scr script on line TYPE' SAS -dmr ...'

We run every night over 30 MB data from MVS to NT via proc download and then a massive reporting program (SAS) that makes 'canned reports' on disk. Users can then read those reports via Netscape, serverd by a Purveyor web-server on the same NT. So far the only problem have been the spawner connection.

Juha