Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:08:12 PST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         TWB2%Rates%FAR@GO50.COMP.PGE.COM
Subject:      Re: Time Conversion

I missed the original question, but it has been excerpted twice and I understand it like this: the raw data has a value like 01:17:32 PM. Someone read these into two character variables and now someone else wants to construct a SAS time value (other posters assumed 01:17:32 is already a SAS time value--that is not obvious to me from the quoted question). I would code something like:

DATA NEW; SET OLD; * First, convert '01:17:32' to a SAS time value; HALFWORK=INPUT(CHARTIME,TIME8.); * Now, adjust for AM/PM; * Add the number of seconds in 12 hours to the time value * if the AMPM variable is PM; IF AMPM EQ 'AM' THEN TIME=HALFWORK; ELSE TIME=HALFWORK+(12*60*60); RUN;

Naturally, my production code would not have the temporary variable HALFWORK, and I would use 43200 rather than (12*60*60), with a comment explaining the value. Tim Berryhill - Contract Programmer and General Wizard TWB2@PGE.COM or http://www.lookup.com/Homepages/92062/home.html Frequently at Pacific Gas & Electric Co., San Francisco The correlation coefficient between their views and my postings is slightly less than 0 ----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

mbabyak@acpub.duke.edu (Michael Babyak) wrote: >Dear SAS folks, > >I was wondering if anyone could offer us some advice on the >following problem: > >We have two variables, one for time of day in hh:mm:ss >format, which was entered in clock time (ie, 1 through 12 >hours), and a second coded as AM or PM. We'd like to >recode these two variables into one military time variable. >Can anyone offer a way to do this? > >Many thanks in advance. > >Mike Babyak > > >-- >Mike Babyak, PhD >Behavioral Cardiology Laboratory >Department of Psychiatry >Box 3119 >Duke University Medical Center >Durham, NC 27710 >(919) 684-8843 >(919) 684-8629 >babya001@mc.duke.edu