Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:51:08 PST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         TWB2%Rates%FAR@GO50.COMP.PGE.COM
Subject:      Re: missing values
Comments: To: lschmidt+@PITT.EDU

Laura, One concise, complete method is: DATA NEW; SET OLD; ARRAY _NUM _NUMERIC_; ARRAY _CHAR _CHARACTER_; DO PTR=1 TO DIM(_NUM); IF _NUM(PTR) EQ -9 THEN _NUM(PTR) = .; END; DO PTR=1 TO DIM(_CHAR); IF _CHAR(PTR) EQ '-9' THEN _CHAR(PTR)=''; END; RUN; This will run in 6.08 under MVS (or is it OS/390 now?).

Tim Berryhill - Contract Programmer and General Wizard TWB2@PGE.COM or http://www.lookup.com/Homepages/92062/home.html Frequently at Pacific Gas & Electric Co., San Francisco The correlation coefficient between their views and my postings is slightly less than 0 ----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

Sent by:Laura C Schmidt <lschmidt+@PITT.EDU> Hello, everyone. I know this is a very silly question, but I am in the process of converting to SAS for unix and I have a deadline to meet. I have about 300 variables that use the code -9 for missing, so I would like to find one simple command in which I can list the variables and state that -9 should be treated like system missing (similar to the 'missing values varname (-9)' command in SPSSPC). I have checked various SAS books but I can not see it right now. Can someone e-mail me this, and maybe some other simple commands for unix if you have a sample file handy?

Thanks to all, Laura C. Schmidt University of Pittsburgh lschmidt+@pitt.edu