Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:49:00 PST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Thomas M Skinner <Thomas_M_Skinner@CCM.FM.INTEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VMS to JMP: cport? (NOT!)  NOT!

Dear SAS-Lers,

Al Best wrote:

>I don't have the threads handy but I've seen two >postings that seem to suggest that you can >use SAS proc cport to move files from VMS to >JMP.

>NOT!

>Use the xport engine.

Au contraire mon frere, Either one can be used... look at my original post to see which is better in certain circumstances...

Straight from the horse's mouth... AKA On Line Help.

:PROC CPORT source-type=libref<.member-name> :The source-type argument identifies the file or files to export as a single :catalog, as a single SAS data set, or as the members of a SAS data library. :The source-type argument can be one of the following:

:CATALOG | CAT | C :DATA | DS :LIBRARY | LIB | L

:The libref<.member-name> argument identifies the particular catalog, SAS data :set, or SAS data library to export. If the source-type argument is CATALOG or :DATA, specify both a libref and a member name. If the source-type argument is :LIBRARY, specify only a libref. If you specify a data library, the CPORT :procedure exports only data sets and catalogs from that library. You cannot :export other types of files.

end of help entry...

In fact CPORT predates the Xport engine. Xport was created as a convenience to use just as I originally posted, i.e. in Data Steps.

The _END_ result is the same... a binary file of standard format for transport between OS/Platforms.

Tom Skinner