Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Mar 1996 20:24:41 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Don Stanley <dstanle@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: SASTRAP: Dictionary Tables -Reply

While I respect your opinion, I have to say that EVERY MVS site I have worked in (about 7) have a site standard that files must be allocated in JCL. This aids restartibility and means that operators with no SAS knowledge can easily see what files are used.

Personally I prefer LIBNAME. However, I am always working to my clients standards.

From an MVS viewpoint, I would suggest that aging DDNAMES are still the optimal way to allocate files in an MVS batch environment.

Don

In <s14bfb3e.052@BCBSCT.COM>, Jack N Shoemaker <JSHOEMAK@BCBSCT.COM> writes: >You can avoid this SASTRAP by using libname statements >in the SAS code instead of JCL. In my opinion, you should >NEVER use DD cards when libname and filename statements >do such a fine job. Placing filename and libname statements >in your SAS code means you have the full power of the SAS >system at your displosal to generate the names and OS-dependent >aggregate storage locations. I try to run all my MVS jobs with >just 4 cards - JOB, EXEC SAS, SASEXEC DD, and SYSIN DD. >Sometimes a WORK DD is necessary. > >There is one case where the SAS statements are inferior >to JCL. That occurs when you have data which spans >multiple tape volumes. In short, SAS doesn't provide the >libname and filename options sometimes required to coax >the operating system to let your application have at the data >when those data reside on tape media. > >So, do yourself a favor and toss out all those aging DD >statements. - Jack > >Jack N Shoemaker shoe@world.std.com

Don Stanley DSTANLE@IBM.NET Information Power Limited SAS Institute Quality Partners Wellington NEW ZEALAND

Author : Beyond The Obvious With SAS Screen Control Language Currently Writing : Effective Use Of The Frame Entry In SAS Software (Working title)

'... Through fallen leaves I make my way slowly, nature abounds ...'