Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:48:24 +1000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         miuron@LURE.LATROBE.EDU.AU
Subject:      Help with WRITE OUTFILE problem

For specific select criteria I wish to split an ascii data file into two smaller ascii files of the same format (but with reduced numbers of records in each). The problem is that spss does not write spaces at the end of a line. I need the spaces; does anyone know how to force spaces in the output?

I'll exemplify the problem. Note that I have added "<eoln>" to indicate the end of the line.

BESSBSWBEE4110<eoln> B BVBSW E4110<eoln>

Note the loss of spaces beyond the last "non-space" character!

BESSBSWBEE4110 <eoln> B BVBSW E4110 <eoln>

What do you think?

Ron Crichton, La Trobe Uni.