Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:38:11 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rick Oliver <richard@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is "sysfile info"-->data file possible?

Ralph Brands wrote: > > We've been sent what looks like a SPSS-PC output file (suffix .se2?) > which appears to be the output of a command like > "sysfile info filename" > The contents look like the output of a "display dictionary" command ie a > list of variable names with format value labels for each variable. > > Is there some way given this file alone to construct a data file with > these variable names, formats etc. We're using SPSS-Windows here. Many > thanks > SYSFILE INFO is very similar to DISPLAY DICTIONARY, except it works on an external data file (a file other than the current working data file). You could probably use the resulting output to construct a series of data definition commands -- but you wouldn't have the actual data from the source data file.