Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Apr 1996 18:19:12 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tom Skinner <Thomas_M_Skinner@CCM.FM.INTEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What the Good Folks at SI have been up to

Folsom, California April 5, 1996 Sunny, 70's YES! its SPRING!

Dear SAS-Lers,

"J. Philip Miller" <phil@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU> wrote: >While doing some websurving, I cam across this obscure web page; > >http://www.southpeak.com/pressrel_announce_spi.htm > >and here is the Text version of it. Perhaps this explains why there were few >new goodies announced for SAS at SUGI this year :-) > >-phil > > o / o / o / o / > --Cut-here-------X---------------X---------------X---------------X---- > o \ o \ o \ o \ > > >FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE > > SouthPeak Interactive Targets > > Multimedia Entertainment Market > >CARY, NC (March 30, 1996) - SouthPeak Interactive, a new business venture >based in Cary, N.C., announces that it will offer technologies and products >for the expanding multimedia field. > >The new organization - an independent business venture of SAS Institute >Inc., the world's largest privately held computer software company - will >market advanced technologies for multimedia PC systems. In addition, >SouthPeak Interactive will create and market its own line of multimedia >software for home and business PC users. > >"We've licensed technology that was developed at SAS Institute and housed it >in one of the largest video production facilities on the East Coast," said >SouthPeak Interactive President Armistead Sapp. "We're leveraging SAS >Institute's investment in research and development to enter the consumer >entertainment market. We've seen what's out there and decided to raise the >bar a few notches." > >Sapp also said the first product from SouthPeak Interactive - an advanced >technology for Windows 95 Pentium users - will be announced soon.

Stuff deleted...

I'm not sure what advanced technology Armistead is referring to in this announcement, but it very well could be having to do with the new MMX (TM) Technology that will be onboard future versions of the Pentium (TM) and Pentium Pro (TM) Processors. Here's a news item related to this. And BTW Phil, I know this isn't SAS related and you may have set a dangerous precedent by intoducing Southpeak Interactive to the discussion list of SAS-L, but sooner or later folks need to put the work away and have some fun! BTW, I was at the Westin Santa Clara / Convention Center when this conference was going on, but wasn't aware of which conference :-(, otherwise I would have stopped in, but I can tell you this: By the late night carrying on and other indicators (attendee appearance) I could tell this was not your average Silicon Valley conference! Also if you visit the Southpeak site, you'll see they are recruiting "gamemasters" and other positions. So who says computer careers are boring?!

SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS SHOW OFF IN SANTA CLARA INTEL DEMONSTRATES MMX (TM) TECHNOLOGY AT GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE

Intel joined software developers to show off the latest cool computer games, while highlighting its own technology, at the Computer Game Developers' Conference in Santa Clara earlier this week. Using a multimedia theater and running flashy new interactive titles, Intel's booths were a major attraction at the show, which drew over 3,500 people. The conference featured more than 50 new software products from some of the industry's hottest companies, much of it optimized for the Pentium(r) and Pentium(r) Pro processor lines.

Intel's main goal was to demonstrate the potential of its MMX(tm) multimedia technology, which allows software developers to deliver higher-performance multimedia and communications applications and will be available in retail outlets later this year.

Game highlights included: 7 Voodoo Graphics, a graphics accelerator from 3Dfx Interactive Inc. that delivers stunning visual realism in three dimensional games. 7 Treasure Quest's CD-ROM mystery game, which uses motion pixels to integrate compressed video with 3D animation. 7 Technology from Echo Speech Corporation that allows players to talk to their opponents while playing multi-player modem games like Doom* and Duke Nukem 3D*.

-- Tom Skinner End User Reporting and Analytical Tools Product Manager Tools, Repository and Integrated Methods, IT Intel Corporation

These are my views and opinions and not necessarily those of the Intel Corporation I am not an Intel Spokesperson.