Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:19:00 PDT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dann, Alec" <DannA@WASHPOST.COM>
Subject:      Re: Allocating a SAS library in MVS

Yes. There is an undocumented function called dsnexst that tests to see if the dsn is cataloged and returns a macro variable of the same name with a value of 1 or 0. I don't recall the exact syntax (I've been working in Win95 for the last year), but usage is something like this:

dsnexst '<dsn>'; %if dsnexst=1 %then %do; < program statements to use dataset already exists> %else %do; < program statements to use when dataset doesn't exist > %end;

You may want to call SAS tech support (whom I got it from) to confirm the usage above. If they stonewall you, let me know and I'll call my old site to get a code sample.

---------- From: owner-sas-l[SMTP:owner-sas-l@VM.MARIST.EDU] Sent: Thursday, April 25, 1996 8:06 PM To: Multiple recipients of list SAS-L Subject: Allocating a SAS library in MVS

I am using the LIBNAME (library) '(libspec)' DISP=OLD (MVS specs) to allocate a library internally from SAS. I would like to know if there is a SAS or TSO command which will indicate whether this library spec is existent or not so that I do not overwrite the stuff that are already there, or, if there are tricks you can provide that will do the same purpose using macro parameter passing (possibly!).

I would appreciate any hints you can provide. Thanks. :) Joy