Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1996, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 1996 20:22:38 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tom Abernathy <tga1@COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Andy and Werner Were Right--I Was Wrong--Probably

On Sun, 26 May 1996 TWB2%Rates%FAR@GO50.COMP.PGE.COM wrote: > Regarding the "WinWord attachments," John W. forwarded me the original > messages. They arrived the same way they did originally: with no introduction > followed by garbage (once I saw them, I remembered deleting them). John > assures me they are uudecodable at his site. This time, I tried two > uudecoders and a MIME reader, and got nothing but errors everytime. It seems > likely that these messages arrived at some sites as WinWord attachments, at > some sites as uuencoded ASCII, and at some sites as garbage. I still hope to This is now one of my current pet peeves so I waste everybodies time talking about it.

The use of e-mail to send non-text attachments.

In particular non-text attachments that are really just text wrapped up in somebodies favorite software products propriatary format.

The best one I got was a 300K document attached to CC:MAIL at the office that turned out to be seven lines of text done as a PowerPoint presentation. I had to load the thing to disk. Start Powerpoint. Look at the thing. Plus it was sent to a couple of hundred people who had to do the same thing.

- Tom Abernathy (tga1@columbia.edu)