Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:06:35 GMT
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         grant jewell rich <gjr9@MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject:      SPSS 6 speed

I'm running SPSS on a Powerbook 5300cs 24/500 (603e chip).

My data file is about 10 meg and has about 20,000 cases.

To run a simple ANOVA with (in my case) the variables RACE and ESTEEM takes over two minutes.

Of course, on the UNIX mainframe this same run takes only a second or two. I'd really like to work on the beach this summer or while camping.

How can I boost the speed of the program.

How should I set the memory control panel on my Mac and the special workspace and memory features of SPSS? Will any other programs or peripherals boost my speed? Can anything in my system folder slow down spss?

Help is much appreciated.

Grant Ric