Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:44:56 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Bruce Rogers <gxx18300@GGR.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Retain statement
Comments: To: gaylen fraley <gfraley@primenet.com>

gaylen fraley wrote: > > > Bruce Rogers wrote: > > > > No, It makes no difference where you put the RETAIN statement. It is > > non-procedural, retaining values of any specified variables, whatever > > position it is placed in.

<snipped>

> > This is NOT correct. The placement of the RETAIN statement IS important. The > following example illustrates this: > > data ONE; > do i = 1 to 10; > output; > end; > run; > > data TWO; > retain _all_; > set ONE; > if I = 1 then X = 1; > run; > > /* According to your statement, all 10 records should retain the value of X=1. */ > /* You will discover that X=1 is only in the first record. If, however, you */ > /* move the RETAIN staement AFTER the IF i=1 statement, THEN all 10 records will */ > /* retain the value for X. */ >

Gaylen,

Your results are correct, but your conclusion is not. The reason your code does not retain the value of X is not the position of the RETAIN statement, but the fact that you have used _ALL_ instead of naming the variables required. The variable X is not known at the point you specify _ALL_ (over-simplifying things a bit, I know), so it is not retained at all. If you replace the _ALL_ with the variable names I and X, the predicted results (i.e. X always = 1 ) will be given.

Bruce

p.s. Don't be so quick to knock other people's ideas. :-)