Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 1996 20:25:19 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Alan C. Acock" <acocka@CCMAIL.ORST.EDU>
Subject:      I'm thinking of switching from SAS to SPSS for Windows 95 for
              gaduate students???

I've used SAS for years and in the past it seemed a lot less limited than SPSS. A year ago, I sorted and merged 10 30 MB files with 20,000 variables in each file and SAS was not bothered a bit. What are the limits of SPSS for Windows 95. SAS 6.11 comes on a CD or a couple hundred 3.5 in floppies. SPSS for Windows 95 comes on 11 3.5 disks. I realize a lot of SAS is specialized stuff of no interest to social statisticians, but 11 floppies seems pretty tiny. I need students to be able to work with 600+ varialbes in multiple datasets, each of which has over 50 mb of raw data and a record length of about 10,000, and merge them. Is this sort of thing a problem. Also, what statistics is SPSS missing that SAS has? PLEASE no flames. I installed SPSS for a new faculty member and played with the tutorial and it seemd like it was far advanced compared to SAS in the friendliness of the user interface. Alan Acock acocka@ccmail.orst.edu