Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 1996 00:21:21 GMT
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Adrian Barnett <adrianb@DOVE.MTX.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: Whither SIR?

Steve Chesney <Steven.L.Chesney@mti.cdc.com> wrote:

>Whatever happened to SIR (Scientific Information >Retrieval)? I have used that (on mainframes and >MS-DOS) to manage study data; its big advantage as >a data base system is its similarity to SPSS. It >also outputs SPSS files.

>There is no Windows version yet and I can find no >mention of it on the internet. >-- >Steven.L.Chesney@mti.cdc.com >4201 North Lexington Ave. 612-482-4662 >Arden Hills, MN 55126

They are still going, but have moved to Australia. You can get to their web page at http://www.sir.com.au/. They are working on a Windows version, but it is tking a VERY long time. Amongst other things, they wrote their own multi-API development system (no small undertaking), to ease the process of developing for their many platforms. I've been beta-testing the new version (4.0) for DOS/Windows and its OK, but many Windows features are yet to be added. As for outputting SPSS files, that has been a problem for the PC version for some time (about 7 or 8 years that I know of) and the beta I've got still won't do it right. The only sure way is to use v3.2 and write an export file. They have acknowledged the bug and will have it fixed. I think part of the reason for the slow evolution of the product has been that the development became moribind under the previous owners. Their beta testing program is much more extensive now than ever before and has uncovered bugs that I suspect had been there for many years. They are very serious about getting it right and I think they will.

Regards

Adrian