Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:11:16 GMT
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   John Hendrickx <J.Hendrickx@MAW.KUN.NL>
Subject:   SPSS for Windows in production mode

The standard way to run SPSS for Windows in production mode is to double-click a file with the .inc extension in the file manager. However, the listing is then *appended* to an existing one rather than overwriting it. I can change this for *one* job using regedit and including a /r switch in the command for the "SPSS production" group. However, after I run SPSS this returns to its original settings. The same thing happens when I associate .sps files with SPSS production model in the file manager. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'm running SPSS 6.1 from a network server, which I assume is responsible for resetting my SPSS configuration.

A workaround is to use PFE, a freeware editor available from the SIMTEL archives. Click on the launch button and enter F:\SPSS61\spsswin.exe /b /r /i %p as the command. This runs SPSS in batch mode (/b), overwriting any existing listing (/r) and using the input file (/i) "%p", which is the file being edited with a full path name. Better than using the file manager IMHO, but I'd still like to know why I can't configure SPSS the way I want to.

John Hendrickx Department of Sociology, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands