Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:06:24 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Frank Schnekenburger <ay987@FREENET.CARLETON.CA>
Subject:      Re: help!!!

Wei Jin (jin.fpg@mhs.unc.edu) writes: > I met a problem about converting one variable to the other. Say, > I have variable A which has possible value "1,2,3...." and I would > like to creat variable B which has possible value "9,13,27,...". there > seems no mathematic connection between the two group of value except > if A=1 then B=9, if A=2 then B=13 etc. I have 100 value in each group. > Is there any "elegant" way to do the convertion other than 100 if-then > clause?

Hello, Assuming that A is sequential and inclusive (1, 2, 3 ... n), the following code should do the trick (no if statements required).

Frank.

* create sample file of variable A; data old; input a @@; cards; 4 2 3 1 3 5 1 4 2 4 3 ;

* create a lookup table for conversion, specifying values of B in the order corresponding to the 1, 2, 3... of A; data lookup; input b @@; cards; 9 13 27 37 49 ;

* convert A to B; data new; set old; set lookup point=a; run;