Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 1996 07:54:52 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Karsten Self <kmself@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Using a variable's values to create SAS source code
Comments: To:
          /G=Robert/S=Agostinelli/O=astra_usa_inc/OU1=ASTRA1@MHS-ASTRAUSA.ATTMAIL.COM

If I'm reading you right, no macro required, though possibly a different data structure. Suppose you 'condition' to 'HiAge' and 'LoAge'. You can use these values in comparison operators. Four cases to consider:

hi= missing, lo= missing: don't perform comparison hi= non-missing, lo= missing: test age < hi hi= missing, lo= non-missing: test age > lo hi= non-missing, lo= non-missing: test lo < age < hi

You indicate that other types of comparison are possible, eg: sex. Add a field and perform similar logic.

There are two methods for generating code based on data values. One uses macros and the call symput statement, eg:

data _null_; mname= 'fred'; x= 1; y= 2; call symput( mname, put( x, 8.0 )); call symput( 'sue', put( y, 8.0 )); run;

...creates two macrovariables 'fred' (value of 'mname') and 'sue' with values '1' and '2' respectively. For your application, the macrovariable overhead is probably too great -- macrovariables use memory.

An alternate method is the call execute statement. This resolves its arguments to generate code which is executed following the close of the data step. I use this technique, though in your case it will not generate code to be applied in the current data step. Again, you would be producing a program with a block of statements corresponding to each observation in your data.

At 02:36 PM 8/20/96 -0500, you wrote: > Hi folks, > > I have a SAS dataset ( with 1000's of observations ) that has 4 > variables: > > > Patient Age Sex Condition > ------- --- --- ------------------------------------------ > > 1 21 M If age > 12 and age < 26 > 2 63 F If age < 18 > 3 45 M If age > 18 and sex = M > . > . > . > etc. > > > The condition variable is different for each observation. I have > already written the SAS code that parses the condition into three > variables: a low age range, a high age range, and the sex condition. > In reality, the condition also contains criteria for race and other > parameters as well. > > However, I am looking for a cleaner solution than having to parse the > text. I would like to be able to use the value of the condition > variable as part of the SAS program that evaluates the observation as > pass/fail. To do this, I know that macros are required to build > dynamic SAS code. > > Therefore, I want to create a 5th variable that flags whether or not > the current obs. meets it's own condition. > > For example, patient 1 would pass it's own condition, and the flag > would be set to 'pass'. Patient 2 would fail since the patient is 63 > years old and the condition to pass requires them to be less than 18. > Patient 3 would pass. > > Does anyone know what the SAS macro code should be to perform this > task? > > Thanks for your help. > > ---------------------------------------- Karsten Self / kmself@ix.netcom.com

What part of gestalt don't you understand?