Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Nov 1996 01:33:53 EST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Clarence Wm Jackson <73021.3404@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: DISP=SHR
Comments: cc: Anthony Ayiomamitis <ayiomami@INTERLOG.COM>

Hi Anthony, you may have read this either in a Ver 5.xx manual, or in the MVS companion for either version. If you want to drop the overhead of the file, don't use JCL DD, use the FILENAME statement inside your SAS code instead. This will allow you to use the file in another job when the "FILENAME fileref CLEAR;" statement is issued. JCL, although you would think it will allow multiple access using "SHR", MVS holds all DD's until the JOB completes in most cases, even in COBOL and ALC programs.

Folks,

I read somewhere that DISP=SHR is not what it seems and can indeed lock up a library. Unfortunately I cannot recall where I saw that posting. I also managed to recreate the problem myself about two years ago but I cannot recall how I did it (damn it!).

I spoke to SAS Tech Support a while back and they did confirm that SAS does open up a library in EXCLUSIVE mode in spite of the DISP=SHR option and this was because of some SAS quirk behind the scenes.

Does anyone have any example(s) of the above being accomplished and/or any reference to printed material for the same?

WIth flat files, I have easily modified a file using a data step even though the JCL had a DISP=SHR option. I an now trying to recreate the same problem with a SAS library. As noted above, I have done it before but cannot recollect how I pulled it off.

Due to a business trip lasting twelve days, I will not be able to reply immediately to any questions or comments.

Many thanks in advance for any help/assistance!

Anthony.

--------------- thank you ----------- Clarence Wm. Jackson email: 73021.3404@compuserve.com homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/CJac work address: City of Dallas, ECI (Information Services) Dept 1500 Marilla St., City Hall 4BS, Dallas, Tx 75201 214-670-3704 voice, 214-670-4010 fax ** Don't Miss the 7th South Central SAS Users Group Conference ** ** 11/9-11/97, Houston Marriott Westside, Houston, TX ** SCSUG Info: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/CJac/scsug.htm NOTSUG Info: http://www.jjt.com/ntsug/notsug.html