Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:15:15 PST
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Melvin Klassen <KLASSEN@UVVM.UVIC.CA>
Subject:   Re: Sorting huge datasets: SAS 6.08 under wfwg.

jk93 <jk93@EROLS.COM> writes: >I'm using SAS 6.08 (wfwg3.11). I'm sorting huge datasets (almost 2 million >cases, 30 variables), though only sorting on one variable (like ID), using >Proc Sort. But it seems that SAS makes NO use at all of extended memory when >sorting. I have 32 meg (with an 8 meg vcache), but the disk is just >constantly crunching (heavily) during the sort. (I'm wondering, also, how bad >this is for the disk, during these hour-long sorts). But even with much >smaller datasets, the disk acts the same way, with seemingly no use of >memory. Any ideas?

Buy more RAM. How much?

Assuming you have 8 bytes per variable, and 30 variables, and 2 million cases, and you are sorting on 1 variable, you will need at least:

(30*8 + 1*8) * 2 million

i.e., 496 million bytes of RAM, to store your file.

About 500MB of RAM will only cost about $5,000. -- assuming that you have enough empty SIMM-slots on the computer's motherboard to hold the RAM.

It might be easier/cheaper/quicker to tell SAS to "index" the dataset, and then use the index to access the cases.