Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:44:22 GMT
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Martin <paul.martin@NUFFIELD.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject:      Re: Reading Unix data files in Windows

In article <5c2l5f$a3o@netsrv2.spss.com>, nichols@spss.com (David Nichols) wrote: >SPSS portable files are a strange kind of ASCII, not standard ASCII. As >far as I know, they travel just fine via ftp using either ASCII or binary >mode. I personally always use binary.

It does seem to make a difference if you ftp the files from VAXen rather than Unixen; the files get corrupted en route if you use binary for downloads.