Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:48:35 +0000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         nick nelson <n.w.nelson@EDUCATION.LEEDS.AC.UK>
Subject:      Re: Aggregating

phewett@popcouncil.org wrote: > > Hello.. > > I am attempting to create a variable that is a count (or mean, or max, > etc.) of the number of observations of another variable (across > cases), by subgroubs (splitfile). However, I want to assign this > variable across all the cases, by subgroup. In Stata this is simply > done using egen, but I don't know if there is an SPSS equivalent. The > aggregate function does not seem to be too useful here. Any help ?? > > ex: > > smoke pot ? sex newvar (count) newvar (mean) > 1 1 3 .75 > 0 1 3 .75 > 1 1 3 .75 > 1 1 3 .75 > 1 0 2 .66 > 1 0 2 .66 > 0 0 2 .66

SORT CASES BY sex (A) . AGGREGATE /OUTFILE='C:\XFILES\DATA\AGGR.SAV' /BREAK=sex /smoke_1 = MEAN(smoke) /N_BREAK=N. MATCH FILES /FILE=* /TABLE='C:\XFILES\DATA\AGGR.SAV' /BY sex. EXECUTE.

Regards, Nick.

BTW, this is pretty straightforward using dialogues rather than syntax.