Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 1997 12:01:48 PST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         TWB2%Rates%FAR@GO50.COMP.PGE.COM
Subject:      Re: How to get values from list?

Dear T.R., With 20,000 unique values of ID and selecting all combinations, you have 400,000,000 combinations (OK, 399,980,000, but 20K was approx.). For each of 400 million combinations you are going to process your 400,000+ records. Since this is never going to finish anyway, you do not have to worry about efficient coding.

Tim Berryhill - Contract Programmer and General Wizard TWB2@PGE.COM or http://www.aartwolf.com/twb.html Frequently at Pacific Gas & Electric Co., San Francisco The correlation coefficient between their views and my postings is slightly less than 0 ----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

Sent by:"T.R. Biddle" <a10trb1@CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU> I have a data set (400,000+ records) and a program which runs against it when I manually assign a valued to two variables, ID1 and ID2. The data set contains a value in a field ID that is matched with the values assigned to ID1 and ID2 to select cases for analysis. Multiple cases will have the same value in the field ID. There are about 20,000 different values for ID. If I were, for example, to assign the value 10 to ID1 and the value 12 to the variable ID2, my program would select all the cases with those values in the variable ID and perform the appropriate process. My problem is that I would like to use every combination of values for ID (which are not sequential) in the variables ID1 and ID2, and I do not want to enter all these combinations manually.