Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1997, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:21:54 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Xlr82sas <xlr82sas@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS v. MS-Access for applications

Soapbox on

Over the next five years we will probably see more changes in the way we present, analyze, transmit and interact with data then in the previous ten years. If you question this, just think about the internet.

Suppose you invest hundreds of hours into MS-Access entry screens, report generation, graphics and then management declares Personal Oracle 7 must be used instead of MS-Access. Other problems with MS-Access are scalability, security, incomplete compatibility with other hardware and operating systems and the lack of documented data dictionaries.

One solution to handling change lies in ODBC. ODBC allows full access to databases, ie updates, creates, deletes, transport between databases, etc. ODBC code does not change when you change databases. ODBC works for local and remote access ( no need for DDE ). Because ODBC makes it easy to switch databases, ODBC development by the database makers and their 'Business Partners' has been very limited. I commend PERL for its ODBC work. I worry about the direction of computing when every commercial developer is a business partner with MIcrosoft.

I am investing considerable effort into MS-Access for several reasons, none of which are technical:

1. Access often comes with a new PC. MS-Access on 30 million desktops!. 2. comp.databases.ms-access indicates millions of non-techs are geting an introduction to databases through MS-Access. ( the most active list??) 3. Bill Gates is determined to make MS-Access the desktop database and is willing to do whatever it takes ( Good bye Paradox, Foxpro and Dbase ). 4. As a independent I have no choice, MS-Access will be a major player in the database market.

I think Bill Gates lagacy will be this:

Through strongarm tactics, I was able to slow down computer progress. First I decided to kill OS/2 by promising a better 32bit operating. Users can wait a couple of years for Win95. Meanwhile use my DOS base 16bit Windows 3.x, your 32bit applications(like SAS ) will run about 10 times slower than under OS/2, this is acceptable to Microsoft. The negative impact on all worldwide research and development will be in about 5%, this is acceptable to Microsoft. Next I built MS-Office, integrated it with my operating systems and made sure it was on all desktops. Later I used a similar tactic with Microsoft Network (MSN). Finally I made sure every commercial software developer was a business partner, this dulled any unsanctioned development or competition.

I think Bill Gates should be made to listen to John Lennons 'Imagine' for 20 minutes every day.

Soapbox off

Roger DeAngelis xlr82sas@aol.com For free sample code http://members.aol.com/xlr82sas/utl.html