Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:57:03 -0600
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Matheson, David" <davidm@SPSS.COM>
Subject:   Re: Outputing Quartiles to the Active File
Comments:   To: Dean Duncan <dfduncan@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>

You can use the RANK command to create a new variable in the current active file that equals the quantile for an existing variable. The following command assigns the quartile memberships for variable traita to a new variable called qtile. Rank is available from the Transform menu in SPSS version with graphic user interface; on SPSS/PC+, from the Modify Data or Files->Modify Data Values menu.

RANK VARIABLES=traita (A) /NTILES (4) INTO QTILE /PRINT=YES /TIES=MEAN .

You might prefer another option for ties (which could affect ties right at the quartile borders).

David Matheson SPSS Technical Support