Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:41:04 +0000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <leitzel@ac.marywood.edu>
From:         Jeffrey Leitzel <leitzel@AC.MARYWOOD.EDU>
Subject:      Kruskal-Wallis ANOVA

Can anyone tell me whether the Chi Square statistic that SPSS provides when you run the Nonparametric test for k samples is equivalent to the H statistic. We have run a lot of these tests and are putting the report together and Huck and Cormier's text provides different citation formats depending on whether the statistic from the Kruskal Wallis test is H or a Chi Sq. value. The confusion is compounded by the fact that the SPSS 7.5 Users guide calls it the Kruskal Wallis H test, but then the output example shown in the book (and in the output we get from running the test) clearly has it labeled as a chi sq. Are these equivalent values? Does anyone have a reference for calculating this H if they are different, and tables of critical values? Any info would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff Jeffrey D. Leitzel, M.A. Research Associate Military Family Institute Marywood College 2300 Adams Avenue Scranton, PA USA 18509 e-mail: LEITZEL@AC.MARYWOOD.EDU OR LEITZEL@MFI.MARYWOOD.EDU Phone: (717)961-4716 Fax: (717)961-4760