Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1997, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:48:42 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ron Coleman <rcoleman@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Embedded Spaces in String

Mitch II wrote: > > I am using the following code to read a fixed column ascii file. > > I am experiencing a problem with embedded spaces in both MOMPATID and > KIDPATID. Both fields sometimes contain multiple contiguous spaces. SAS > does not read these fields correctly when it encounters the embedded > spaces. > > I have tried setting a different delimiter. I have tried using a $CHAR > informat. Same result. > > I should get 1020 observations. I get 619 and a message that SAS went to > a new line when INPUT reached past the end of the line. > > I used column input precisely because SAS is supposed to ignore multiple > spaces in a string field. > > I am using SAS 6.11 for Windows. It is running on Windows 95 on a 133MHz > Pentium. > > Suggestions to resolve this problem would be welcome. > > Thanks, > > Mitch > > data LINKAGE.KNOWN; > infile KNOWN; > input FACILITY $ 1- 6 > RPT_YY $ 8- 9 > RPT_QTR $ 13 > MOMPATID $ 18-34 > SSN $ 36-44 > @46 DOB MMDDYY8. > KIDPATID $ 57-73 ; > > run;

Mitch,

The reason for the message about skipping to another record is that some of your data lines may be shorter than 73 characters (KIDPATID < 17 chars). Use the MISSOVER option on your INFILE statement to stop SAS from jumping to the next line.

INFILE KNOWN MISSOVER;

I have always had good success using formatted input over column. Use:

input @01 FACILITY $6. @08 RPT_YY $2. @13 RPT_QTR $1. @18 MOMPATID $17. @36 SSN $9. @46 DOB MMDDYY8. @57 KIDPATID $17.;

If this doesn't work I would need to see some of the actual input records to go much further.

-- Ron Coleman A SAS Quality Partner. Links Analytical, Inc. Linking your data to your business! 3545-1 St. Johns Bluff Rd. Suite 300 Jacksonville FL 32224 rcoleman@worldnet.att.net