Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:11:13 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nichols, David" <nichols@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How SPSS uses harmonic means
Comments: To: Jerry Dallal <jerry@MINT.HNRC.TUFTS.EDU>

I never did see this come through to the news group; I guess the demons in the equipment are at it again.

Anyway, what I meant (which may not be anything like universal) by homogeneous subsets is to line up the means in ascending (or descending, but ascending is the custom) order and then specify in some way which ones differ by either drawing lines where each pair of means declared not to differ can be identified by seeing if there is a common line under each member of the pair. Or equivalently, and what SPSS 7.x does, is to line them up from top to bottom and print them in columns, where each set in a column is determined to not differ from each other. When you have unequal sample sizes, it is impossible to do this in all cases, as you can have situations where means 1 and 3, for example, are declared not to differ, but where mean 2 is declared to differ from 1 or 3.

David Nichols Senior Support Statistician SPSS Inc. nichols@spss.com