Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:39:09 EST
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Jerry Dallal <jerry@MINT.HNRC.TUFTS.EDU>
Subject:   Re: How SPSS uses harmonic means

Nichols@spss.com (David Nichols) writes:

> With unequal N, the Tukey-Kramer method is known to be valid (as you > point out), but is not guaranteed to give results that are representable > as homogeneous subsets (see, e.g., Hsu's Multiple Comparisons: Theory > and Methods). That's why we don't do that for homogeneous subsets > results.

I'll have to check Hsu. It appears that "homogenoeus subsets" has a technical definition that I'm not familiar with. I had been reading "homogeneous subset" to mean "not significantly different from each other" as in "Treatments sharing the same superscript are not significantly different from each other" in which case any MCP could generate homogeneous subsets.

Thanks.