Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 May 1997 19:10:45 GMT
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rob McKinley <mckinley@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: no way at all to run more than one *.SAV window at the same

rwziegler@aol.com (Rwziegler) wrote:

>Im Artikel <3.0.1.32.19970508224143.007ac770@michtec.macam98.ac.il>, Amir >Hetsroni <amiron@MOFET.MACAM98.AC.IL> schreibt: > >Dear Amir, > >I wrote: >>>you need someone who claims for the possibility of having >>>more than 1 data-Window unter SPSS-WIN 6.x? I claim for it ;-)! > >You answered: >>Dear Roland, >>Would it be possible for you to let us share the rare wisdom? >>As the initiator of this thread, i personally promise to thank you all my >>life and even after that:-) > >as a simple minded german ;-) I might have missunderstood >the 1st Posting of Rob McKinley. But as far as I understood Rob's >posting, Rob wanted to have the possibility to run two SPSS- >Window-data-set's at the same time. Well I'm working with >SPSS-Win 6.1.2 (Win 3.11) and I would really be glad, if >there would be a chance to do so. Obviously, one can't open >two *.sav-files at the same time. >To copy data between two files, I've to close and open files >copying data by more or less complex procedures. In other >programms like DBASE or Quatto Pro there's no problem >to open more than one file at the same time. >So, in that kind of meaning I support Rob claiming for a >second or third or forth or... data-window for SPSS. > > Nice to meet you, Roland > Roland, et al:

Hmm. The reply headers seem to have gotten a bit mangled along the way. I replied that there was no way of doing it. The original poster (Amir Hetsroni <amiron@MOFET.MACAM98.AC.IL>) was the one asking if it could be done.

Several people have noted of needs to have several data sets. As someone (I forget whom) mentioned, one of the difficulties that we would need to solve is how to specify which data set you wanted a specific procedure run against. I was surprised that that person mentioned using the current blessing scheme that we use for output windows, as I find it somewhat clumsy. I'd encourage people to let the SPSS marketing department know that there is demand for features like this. When it comes time to determine feature sets for future versions, it's always good to know what the users want :-)

Rob